In Slocan, passenger vehicles represent the largest source of emissions and cost, whereas residential buildings are the largest user of energy.
Slocan has chosen actions for each strategy, including:
- Develop an electric vehicle charging strategy
- Increase efficiency requirements for new buildings (Step Code)
- Identify and remove barriers to heat pump installation
- Participate in regional organics composting
The strategies with the greatest impact on carbon pollution will be:
- Electrifying Passenger Vehicles
- Composting organics and capturing landfill gas
- Improving Existing Buildings
- Public and Active Transportation
Although the Big Moves can make a lot of progress toward 100% renewable energy, new kinds of technology or policy at the federal or provincial level will be needed to fill the gaps. In Slocan, the main gaps are:
- Commercial vehicle emissions
- Non-electricity heating (propane and oil) in existing buildings
After incorporating community feedback, Slocan’s Village Council will adopt the plan and begin implementing actions.
You can contribute
Attend the New Denver, Silverton, and Slocan webinar on Thursday November 12 at 7-8:30 pm.