Most of Nelson’s non-renewable energy use is passenger vehicles followed by residential buildings then commercial buildings.
Nelson’s actions are included in the Nelson Climate Change Action Plan, which will be released for public review after this plan is completed. The Nelson Climate Change Action Plan will achieve the City of Nelson’s 100% renewable by 2050 target, and the projections for carbon pollution shown here are based on full implementation of each of the Big Moves.
The strategies with the greatest impact on carbon pollution will be:
- Electrifying Passenger Vehicles
- Improving Existing Buildings
- Public and Active Transportation
- Composting organics & capturing landfill gas
Although the Big Moves can make a lot of progress toward 100% renewable energy, new kinds of technology or policy at the federal or provincial level will be needed to fill the gaps. In Nelson, the main gaps are:
- Natural gas emissions in existing buildings
- Commercial vehicle emissions